In this sixth session take time to discuss how you tackled the challenge from last week.
This week, take some time to learn about your church. Find a way to get involved differently, or even speak to someone who you’ve never
really met before. (But, obviously, don’t go and meet someone you don’t
know, on your own).
The Holy Spirit could be the Christian faith’s best-kept secret. One of the central claims of Christianity is that we have access to the power and the presence of God himself, and not some watered down version. The Spirit is fully God, just as much as the Father and the Son. He is God, active and working in the world today, changing hearts and sometimes even physically touching lives through things like healing. When we meet and experience God’s Spirit, two major things happen: we access the gifts of the Spirit (things like speaking in tongues and prophecy) and we also begin to demonstrate the fruit of the Spirit (which means that our heart and character begin to change). Without the Spirit, the family of God is just doing its best to change the world alone. But with the Spirit working within us, we literally become superhuman.
• How do you imagine the Holy Spirit? What do you picture when you hear that name?
•Have you experienced the Holy Spirit? What happened if so?
• In Colossians 1:29 Paul writes, ‘I strenuously contend with all the energy Christ so powerfully works in me’ – what do you think he means? What might happen if this was true for us?
• Christianity isn’t best-known for the work of the Holy Spirit. Why do you think relatively little is said in our culture about the Spirit’s work?
• The power of the Holy Spirit is at the heart of this book, and at the centre of the seven ‘Satellites values’. Why do you think this is?
• Invite the Holy Spirit to come, and to fill you with his presence. Spend some time waiting to see what you experience as result of praying that prayer.
• Think about the nine ‘fruits of the Spirit’ listed in Galatians 5:22-23. Ask God by his Spirit to grow one of these in you in the coming days.
Try to start every day this week by inviting God to fill you with his Holy Spirit, and then see how different your week is as a result.