Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God.” Romans 15:7
- How should we accept one another? What does that look like in practice?
- Why should we? How does it bring praise to God?
Read Colossians 3:12-15
- Tease out the link with what has come before (ie What is the “therefore” there for? What has Paul been saying in 3:1-11?)
- What does it mean to “bear with each other” (v.13)?
- It sounds as though it should be easy, but it is not! What characteristics do we need to display if we are to bear with each other? How do “compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience” and forgiveness and love enable us to bear with one another?
- What do you think v.15 means? The word “rule” has the sense of “act as umpire” or “be the decisive factor”, in particular it seems in how we relate to one another. How should the “peace of Christ” bear on how we accept one another?
- From these verses, what would you say is it that should motivate us to bear with one another?
If there is time, you could also read Romans 14:1-21
- Without trying to tease out the details of the chapter, or the particular issues Paul is addressing, what is the wrong attitude described here that causes us not to accept one another as we should? How might this show itself within St.Ebbe’s (or even within the Fellowship Group)?
- Why should we not pass judgment on one another?
- What should we be concerned about? What might that look like in our church life?